Monday, January 14, 2013

Portal 2 Companion Cube


For those who have geeks for family members, like my brother, here is how I made this Companion Cube like the ones from Portal 2.

I used the following items:
Scissors (of course)
Sewing Machine (or you could hand sew it)
6 pieces of dark gray felt
3 pieces of light gray felt 
1 piece of light pink (for the hearts of course!)
 Stuffing (I used an old pillow that was falling apart)

 After squaring up the dark gray felt, I did a zigzag stitch across and down the middle .








I then cut out the corner light gray pieces and small rectangles and the center circle. Also, cut the heart out. (I cut all the pieces out for all six sides.)








Than placed the heart in the middle of the heart and did a zigzag around it.




I also used a zigzag with gray thread to sew the different gray 
pieces to the each side of the pillow.



When I started sewing the sides together I realized a problem with using the dark gray all the way to the corners along with the light gray. It was too thick for the needle (I broke it).

So, I trimmed the dark gray off from behind the light gray. Sew all six sides together but leave a small hole to put the stuffing in.


  
Hole for stuffing :-)


Turn inside out. and stuff.

Make sure to get the corners pushed out to a "point".
 
One of the things I learned from Trading Spaces is to use small hand fulls to stuffing. This worked great!











He loved it! I know you can't really tell from the picture but that is his I-am-thrilled look.

Have fun sewing! And God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment