Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Back in November, the doctor told me I had to lose weight...of course! But this time I really did listen. 

I discussed with a friend what to do. I have always been discouraged in trying to lose weight. She suggested that I try the website MyFitnessPal.com. So, when I got home I found that they had an app for my Droid.  So, I downloaded it and started using it. At first, it was strange to realize just how many calories I was eating each meal! Kind of embarrassing actually. 

So, MyFitnessPal.com actually gave me quite a few calories to consume each day. My friend had mentioned this and said that she thought it was better to do less. The amount of calories she suggest I knew was way too low. There was no way I could do that. So, I started looking around that what was a healthy amount of calories to consume. 

I found lots of information. First, of all eating too few of calories is like starving yourself.

Secondly, the amount of calories you consume each day should be based on four things.

1) Your age
2) Your height
3) Your weight
4) Your activity level

I decided to see what a woman my age, height and desired weight should be consuming each day. The best site I found was http://www.thinandhealthyforever.com/CalorieRequirement.asp. I am almost 38, 5'6" and I would like to weight about 150 lbs. I have a sedimentary life style. So, I should consume between 1,500 and 1,800 calories (information taken from http://www.livestrong.com/article/326459-how-many-calories-should-a-150-lb-female-consume-daily/). You should not lose more than 1-2 lbs a week. Losing weight too fast is unhealthy.

As of yesterday, when I was at the doctors office, I have now lost 10lbs. This is very exciting! I am hoping to keep it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment